Revamped Felt Workshop with Sachiko Kotaka - 14 & 15 March 2018 (Wed & Thurs)
14 Mar 2018 - 15 Mar 2018
(8 places available)
Sachiko is inspired by the Japanese 'Boro' concept and revamps her works to create new pieces which are more tactile/complex. In this workshop Sachiko will inspire and assist you to give new life to your old felt or nuno-felt pieces. You will have a lot of fun fulfilling the potential of a piece; or creating a new piece using your accumulated felt.
1. fulfilling potential of a felt or nuno-felt piece by;
- hand or machine stitching to add more marks/textures into the design or to define some shapes on the surface.
- stitching (appliquéing) novelty yarns on the surface or edges.
- cutting into the surface and revealing the colour underneath.
- making felt blobs, small balls - or ‘orikiri’ felt / nuno-felt cutouts from other felt you may have, and stitching them onto the surface of the piece.
- weaving various shaped (pre-felt or) felt strips into the sections. note: need to re-felt if pre-felt strips are used.
- if the piece is nuno-felt, re-felting some sections or felting / adding some felt (or nuno-felt) sections to the piece.
2. creating a new piece from one or number of old felt or nuno-felt pieces by;
- cutting old pieces into shapes and sewing them together - or felting the shapes onto a new felt base (eg creating a vest from old scarves)
- assembling a number of old pieces
- cutting old pieces into smaller pieces and sewing them together - or placing the shapes onto the a new base to create a mosaic like tactile piece.
Note: Beginners (and some other participants) will learn to make a tactile felt or nuno-felt piece through reworking a piece they will make on the first day after Sachiko's introduction.
Tutor: Sachiko Kotako
Skill level: must have completed a Beginners Workshop
Venue: Chifley Health and Wellness Hub